Focus Includes Not Being All Things to All People
Focus. It is a crucial element to success. I am not talking about minimizing environmental distractions, although that is helpful. I am talking about focusing your targets, pitches and short-term goals. Think about it. Which is more attainable? To “lose weight” or “lose 5 lbs over 10 weeks.” Having a clearly defined path helps you create a specific list of actionable items that you can systematically achieve.
So, what does this mean for your business? It means understanding:
- Your value proposition is and how to apply it.
- Exactly which services you offer successfully.
- Who most benefits from your skills and services.
- What kind of work you make money on.
- That it is ok to turn away non-lucrative work.
Perhaps most importantly… it means you just can’t be everything to everyone. However, you can be a deep resource that helps others find solutions they need.