It’s About the Service, Not the Pledge
At the LSSO conference in Boston this summer, I heard this fantastic quote that has stuck with me: “It’s about the service, not the pledge!” This is so true! How many times have I looked at websites, read brochures, heard radio ads and spotted a “service pledge” addressed to clients? They proclaim that the service will always be the best they can offer and that they will try their utmost to make clients happy. Don’t get me wrong… this is a good thing. I don’t think they are being untruthful. But it does leaves me wondering. How many people actually deliver on their pledge? Are they really solving problems, adding value and protecting their clients’ best interests? I certainly hope so, but unfortunately I have heard one too many client panels that tell a different story. So, do me (and your clients) a favor. Don’t just speak your pledge. Live your pledge. I know no one is perfect, but just try. How do you do that?
- Go above and beyond what is expected, even if it is just a little thing.
- Return phone calls and reply to emails within 24 hours, even if it’s just to let them know you will call them back next week.
- Spend an extra few minutes proof-reading your documents and communications for typos and inconsistencies.
- Give something away that provides value.
- Be nice! To everyone, all the time.